Many students choose to stay with a British family when they first arrive in the UK. This offers a very good opportunity to learn about life in the UK and to practice English at the same time.
All our home stay accommodation is checked by our Accommodation Officer to ensure that is of a good standard. We also give home stay providers guidelines about the services they provide to ensure all our accommodation is operated to the same standards.
- Home stay accommodation is normally in single or double rooms (two students in a larger room). We have two kinds of homestay: self-catering if you are happy to make your own food, or homestay accommodation where some food is provided.
- Self-catering accommodation is cheaper but you have to provide and cook your own food. We also have half-board or full board accommodation.
- Half-board is where breakfast and an evening meal are provided. Full board also includes lunch.
In a home stay you will have your own room and use of all essential facilities, including the kitchen and bathroom. You will normally stay with the same home stay for the duration of your stay. Many home stay families keep in touch with students once they have returned home. The home stay system works well and we are sure that you will enjoy your time with your family.
Simple step-by-step guide to finding a home stay placement
- Once you have decided to join a course at Guildford College, you will need to ask us to help you arrange accommodation. We charge a £60 arrangement fee for this service to cover our administration costs. We have an accommodation application form we will ask you to complete so we know your preferences.
- Families may also have children and pets - such as cats and dogs. If you have any particular preferences, you should state them immediately, so that we can try to meet your needs as fully as possible.
- When we have located some accommodation that is suitable, we may ask you to pay a deposit to reserve the accommodation - this can be up to one month of the normal rent. This then reassures your host family you will be arriving and ensures the accommodation is kept for you, so that you can settle in quickly and easily when you arrive.
- The money you pay as a deposit will be kept safe while you stay with your family and used to pay for any damage or overdue rent payments.
- On arrival, you will normally begin to make payments directly to the home stay provider. The College can also manage rental payments for students for a small administration charge.
- When you arrive, your home stay will show you their home and its facilities. They will also show you how to get to College, and essential services around Guildford.